Applications are hereby invited from interested candidates to enrol for the MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program for 2022 – 2023 academic session.
The fellowship will be granted only within the period specified in the grant letter, which cannot be extended or shortened. Only the individual specified in the grant letter is eligible for the grant.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): MATSUMAE International Foundation, Japan
Scholarship Type: Fully-funded
Host Institution(s): Institution in Japan (Universities, National research institutions)
Scholarship Worth: JPY 220,000 monthly allowance, JPY 120,000 for living cost
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
DETAILS | MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship
Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is this fellowship transferable.
The Matsumae International Fellowship will not be involved in any way with regard to the immigration procedures, airline tickets, or accommodation expenses, for the family, companions, etc. of the selected applicant.
To be eligible for MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program 2023, you are expected to meet these conditions:
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following requirements are eligible to submit application documents.
- Applicants must obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- Applicants must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient the English or Japanese languages ability.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- Applicants must have an occupation in their home countries, return there upon completing their fellowship tenure, and should contribute to development of their own country.
Successful applicants seeking for MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program will receive these benefits:
- A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover expenses for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan.
- JPY 120,000 is provided to cover part of the initial costs of living in Japan.
- Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the nearest international airport from a grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.
- Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefit is provided.
- The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.
How-to-Apply: Please download the application form and fill accordingly. An ID photograph taken within the past three months must be attached.
Please make sure that the form is filled out precisely.
Applicants must submit their application documents to the MIF via e-mail. Here is the Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will not be accepted for any reason before or after the application period.
Application Deadline: June 20, 2022