Job Identification: 5225
Locations: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posting Date: 08/15/2022, 11:35 PM
Apply Before: 08/30/2022, 05:59 AM
Degree Level: Secondary School Leaving Certificate
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration: 10 months
Education & Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 5 year(s) experience
Required Languages: Fluency in English and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Mobility required/no mobility: no mobility required
Job Category: Administration/Operations/Support
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina is providing assistance and support BiH authorities in addressing the threats and risks posed to human security. These threats include large and uncontrolled presence of remnants of war and ammunition, terrorism and violent extremism, armed, gender and other forms of violence and men-made disasters. There are several UNDP project-based interventions that provide support to the overall security sector reform at state, entity, Brcko District and community level. Those are organizationally systematized under the UNDP’s Human Security Programme which represents a pillar within Justice and Security Sector of UNDP Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Roadmap for a sustainable solution to the illicit possession, misuse and trafficking of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and their ammunition in the Western Balkans, by 20241 (SALW Roadmap 2024) was developed by the Western Balkans authorities, under the auspices of the Governments of Germany and France, in coordination with the EU, and with the support of the South Eastern and Eastern Europe Clearinghouse for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SEESAC). In conformity with the Roadmap goal 4, 5 and 6, the UNDP Prevention and Illicit Arms Reduction in Bosnia and Herzegovina (PILLAR) project aims to increased safety and security within and beyond the Western Balkans through targeted actions aimed at improving BIH capacities to raise awareness amongst the population regarding responsible possession of SALW and understanding dangers of illegal possession of firearms and to educate how to recognize individual and collective threats to security.
This key project objective will be achieved through awareness raising amongst the population regarding responsible possession of SALW and understanding dangers of illegal possession of firearms as well as to educate how to recognize individual and collective threats to security. Furthermore, the objective of the project is to contribute to behavioral change in understanding of the threats posed by SALW within families, community and society in general.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the PILLAR Project Assistant will provide technical support to the PILLAR project and undertake envisaged PILLAR project activities. The incumbent will, moreover, provide regular technical advice to the Project Manager and Justice and Security Sector Leader for all areas related to SALW Roadmap 2024 implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina under his/her area of expertise.
PILLAR Project Assistant will be expected to regularly coordinate his/her activities with the other projects implemented within SALW Roadmap 2024 and the Justice and Security Sector of UNDP BiH. The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
Overall technical, administrative, and logistical support to PILLAR Project activities with following expected results:
- Assist the Project Manager and Project Officers in the implementation of technical and operational activities for the preparation of the outputs;
- Review technical and support information on relevant studies, projects and initiatives that may contribute to the Project activities;
- Participate in the planning, organizing and execution of Project activities;
- Organize and coordinate seminars, training activities, workshops, site visits and other exchange and facilitation events for stakeholders;
- Organize and coordinate information exchanges both internationally and between participating institutions;
- Compile and prepare the documentation necessary for the procurement of services, good and supplies under the project;
- Maintain the Project’s files and supporting documentation for payments;
- Draft routine official correspondence and assists in the preparation of various reports.
Support to the Project teams in implementation of PILLAR Project business processes with following expected results:
- Assist the Project Manager and Project Officers in the selection process of the consultants to be hired by the Project according to the rules and procedures established by UNDP;
- Perform the procurement of services, goods and supplies authorized by the Project Manager;
- Prepare the payment requests as authorized by the Project Manager;
- Organize translation and interpretation services in accordance with business processes;
- Monitor and regularly update Project repositories as well as Project Monitoring Platform and Project Risk and Issues logs ensuring that they are regularly updated with project indicators, targets and progress/results in coordination with the Justice and Security Sector Leader.
Support to Business Process Quality Assurance with following expected results:
- Facilitate that business processes followed by the projects are in line with the UNDP rules and regulations, policies, and internal control framework;
- Compile projects Financial, Administrative and Procurement Reports in accordance with the Project Document and donor reporting schedule if applicable;
- Support Project reporting requirements through data collection and analysis, and drafting of various project related reports;
- Assist the Project Manager in monitoring of disbursements in accordance with the Project Budget and Disbursement Plan.
Support to the Projects teams in effective mainstreaming of gender equality with following expected results:
- Provide effective support in mainstreaming gender equality in the projects implementation and makes sure that knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in the project’s knowledge management activities and products;
- Provide effective support to the Project Manager in incorporating gender equality in all the areas of implementation of projects components, in the organization of the project evaluations and audits;
- Ensure that all collected data related to the project are gender and age disaggregated and evaluated from the gender point of view.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
- Cross-Functional Competencies – Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Cross-Functional Competencies – Digital Awareness and Literacy: Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Technical Competencies – Financial Planning and Budgeting: Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP’s long and short-term financial goals, including through planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysing and reporting
- Technical Competencies – Financial Reporting and Analysis: Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring
- Technical Competencies – Data Analysis: Ability to extract, analyse and visualize procurement data to dorm meaningful insights and aid effective business decision making
- Technical Competencies – Procure-to-Pay: Knowledge of purchase-to-pay cycles, concepts, principles and policies, and ability to apply this to strategy and/or practical situations
- Technical Competencies – Recruitment and Selection: Knowledge of recruiting issues, procedures, and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations to secure quality candidates.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, economics, law, political sciences, social sciences would be desired, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum 5 years (with Secondary education) or 2 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant administrative experience or project experience;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Experience working in an international setting.
- Familiarity and prior experience with UNDP procedures.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section:
- Understands and applies main processes and methods of HR and Finance Management. Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policy and procedures relating to HR, Finance and Administration and applies them consistently.
Required Language(s) :
- Fluency in English and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian languages.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.