- General Information
Internews is launching the cross-border project “Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia,” a regional media support initiative in Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the Caucasus that aims to increase citizens’ access to reliable information about local, regional, and international issues of public importance through support to the independent media sector. Our goal is to raise the standards in multimedia journalism against which media organizations currently operate in Europe and Eurasia. Through its activities, the project will promote ethical and honest journalism, fact-based coverage, independence of media outlets’ editorial policy, freedom of expression.
The project will support production of 10 multimedia news packages titled “Bosnia and Herzegovina Plus”, covering different topics of public interest, that will include video, audio, written materials, infographics, interactive maps, games, quizzes, etc.
Two partners/authors of “Bosnia and Herzegovina Plus” packages will be selected by a group of experts, based on open competition, and will produce 5 multimedia packages each. The contest will be open to local and national print, radio, TV, and online outlets, as well as relevant NGOs and production houses.
Selected producers will receive multimedia tools training and mentoring which will focus on providing know-how and expertise to help them produce content at a high technical level, using multiple sources, verification techniques, fact-based evidence, and interactive techniques to engage audiences.
- Expected Products and Services
Internews will select two project partners that will be expected to produce 5 multimedia packages each, over a course of 18 months.
Every multimedia package will cover 1 topic and will contain 3 multimedia materials which will be produced using modern tools of interactive visual journalism. Materials should be attractive, accessible and should represent various genres of the press, such as reports, mini-documentaries, expert opinions, quizzes, etc.
Topics for “Bosnia and Herzegovina Plus” packages will be proposed by the applicants. Topics will be of public interest, including but not limited to politics, elections, economics, business, environment, education, corruption, the European integration and international affairs, emigration, vulnerable groups, health, social welfare, agriculture, and conflicts. The format of the materials may be analytical and/or infotainment to spark audience engagement.
The two selected partners will receive grants of USD 10,000 each to produce 5 multimedia packages. This amount will cover production expenses, salaries, and other relevant costs.
- Multimedia Packages Production Schedule
The order of production of materials and the deadlines will be determined together with the partner after winners are announced. Packages will be published once every two months between February 2019 and June 2020.
- Obligations and Responsibilities of the Selected Authors
- The selected applicants will produce “Bosnia and Herzegovina Plus” multimedia packages in compliance with deadlines and production concepts established together with the organizers.
- Authors will publish and promote stories they produce on platforms they own and on social networks as well as offer these stories to other media organizations for publication via their channels.
- Organizers assume the right to publish “Bosnia and Herzegovina Plus” multimedia packages. All multimedia products will have to be made available for publication/broadcasting by other media outlets who are interested in distributing these materials through their channels.
- National stories will be shared with media partners in other project countries.
- Applicants must be local or national print, radio, TV or online outlets, relevant NGOs, production houses.
- At least 1 year of experience in the media.
- Proven ability to reach audience (monthly average of website users, etc.).
- Proven ability to produce multimedia journalistic materials, accompanied by published samples (infographics, videos, images, photo reports, articles, quizzes, edited for online publication, etc.).
- Flexibility and ability to work under the pressure of deadlines.
- Contents of the Application
Candidates will submit the application form which will contain the following information:
- General presentation of the participating journalist(s)/outlet(s), including a portfolio with at least 3 materials on topics in the public interest (only applications with sample multimedia materials will be analyzed. The application may include other types of materials as well, if they illustrate the relevant expertise of the participant);
- CVs of the author/team that will be involved in production of multimedia packages;
- Story/package pitches (brief description of the future materials). Please specify which multimedia elements could be used;
- Budget for production of the multimedia packages, including salary costs;
- Selection Criteria
Partner will be selected by a group of experts, members of the project’s Country Steering Committee, based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the technical offer (application), including completion of all mandatory elements of the application;
- The quality of the financial offer, which shall not exceed the amount of USD 10,000 for five packages.
Project’s Steering Committee will use a points system, as follows:
- The quality of the technical offer makes 90% of the total value of the application;
- The quality of the financial offer makes 10% of the total value of the application.
- Technical offer evaluation criteria:
- Professionalism of the participant (candidate has sufficient technical abilities and experience to produce successful multimedia packages and the capacity to finalize the project; reputation and proven attachment to the standards of professional ethics; roles in the team are clear as regards the project; applicant understands the goals of the project) – maximum 25 points;
- Quality of portfolio (quality of materials in the portfolio, diversity of materials, previous experience of coverage of topics of major public interest) – maximum 25 points;
- Quality of the story pitch/concept of multimedia packages (novelty/originality of concept proposed; diversity of multimedia elements used; clarity and coherence of the pitch/concept; relevance for the public/potential to attract the audience) – maximum 40 points.
2.1 Financial offer evaluation criteria:
- Coherence and clarity of description of expenses (maximum 5 points);
- Reasonable budget, as well as use to the maximum of resources available in relation to the quality and number of products offered (maximum 5 points).
9. Deadline for Submission of Offers
Offers shall be emailed in English language to EE-SIMEE-Applications@internews.org by February 1st, 2019 before 18.00.
Please state the name of the country and organization in the subject of the mail.
Contact person: Anita Mitić
+387 66 01 07 06, email@example.com
DOWNLOAD BUDGET TEMPLATE HERE
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM HERE