Timeframe of assignment May – September 2019
Deadline for offers: 2 May 2019
Location: Sarajevo, BiH
Language requirements: English; BCS is an asset
Duration of assignment: ca. 30 days
YIHR BiH empowers young people to take part on socio-political developments, educates them to think critically and to get actively engaged in social changes. In addition to that YIHR BiH builds new connections between young people in BiH but also in the region, paying special attention to the inclusion of divided communities and encourages regional co-operation of young people from different countries of the former Yugoslavia.
In the past YIHR BiH has been focused on thematic areas such as transitional justice, grassroots activism, rule of law&democracy, exchange®ional cooperaiton. In view od regional but also developments in Bosnia and Herzegovina context and having in mind YIHR BiH’s recent leadership transition , YIHR Bih wants to develop a new startegic vision.
Scope and objectives of the assignment
The scope and focus of the assignment is to strengthen the work of YIHR BiH by providing strategic and facilitation support towards the development of an organisational strategy (for the next 3 years), accompanied by an implementation plan.
The strategy development process needs to
The strategy should:
- Be based on a context analysis in relation to YIHR’s potential and positioning, as well as on in-depth consultations with key stakeholders (Board, partners, donors, thematic experts, activists)
- Provide young activists with opportunities to co-shape YIHR’s future, thereby constantly creating new constituent bases for YIHR’s work
- Enable YIHR to articulate its long-term strategic vision
- Define compelling programmatic objectives and identify promising options on how YIHR could deliver on those through its work
- Provide the YIHR with a solid basis to identify and communicate results and to further strengthen its institutional capacities
Role and responsibilities of the consultant
The consultant(s) in charge has to be able to facilitate the process of developing a strategy while using all of the ‘in-house’ knowledge and resources. The strategy will be developed with intensive communication and feedback from the YIHR BiH team.
To achieve the objectives outlined above, the consultant is expected to:
- Lead on a context and stakeholder analysis
- undertake a context analysis that is tailored to YIHR BiH’s positioning and needs
- Engage YIHRs Board and youth activists and provide them with opportunities to share inputs
- Consult key external stakeholders and gather their feedback on YIHR’s positioning, track record and potential
- Facilitate strategy development discussions with YIHR’s team
- Feedback the outcomes of the context and stakeholder analysis and help YIHR BiH think through concrete strategic implications and options
- Facilitate strategy development sessions (including through team workshops/retreats)
- Help YIHR BiH review its vision and mission and developing a shared understanding of what the organization wants to be in three years;
- Support the drafting and finalization of a strategic plan and implementation plan
- Assist YIHR BiH develop an action plan, mapping out the different steps, outcomes and results in view of this vision.
- Based on feedback received, draft the final strategy and implementation plan
- Share (concrete and actionable) final recommendations for the implementation of the strategy
Two workshops will be foreseen, the first one would be held in June after which a first draft is being produced by end of July. The second strategic workshop would be held beginning of September to discuss findings of the draft strategy and after which the strategy will be finalized as well as an implementation plan developed.
Timelines and location
This assignment is expected to include approximatively 30 days of work. This assignment will need to include both face-to-face work with YIHR staff and relevant stakeholders as well as remote support (feedback and drafting support). The overall assignment is foreseen to take place between May and September 2019.
- In depth experience (minimum 7 years) and proven track record in strategy development
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating organisational change as an external advisor
- Experience in program management and programming related work
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills in English
- Strong facilitation skills
- Familiarity and understanding of the BiH context.
- Fluency in BCS will be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with YIHR’s field of work (Dealing with the Past, human rights advocacy, youth activism)
If you are interested in this assignment, your application needs to include a CV; a cover letter outlining your relevant skills and experiences, proposed methodology and financial offer. The candidates should also provide the contact details of two references/previous clients who are able to comment on your strategic development capacities.
Please submit your proposal by 2 May 2019 to email@example.com with the subject line: Proposal strategy development and First Name and Last Name.