Title Assistant Representative
Job ID 38677
Practice Area – Job Family Capacity Development
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA) 19/08/2021
Time Left 31d 15h 27m
Duty Station Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience I-Master’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Languages Required: Desired: English
Vacancy Type FTA Local
Posting Type External
Bureau Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration 1 Year with possibility for extensionOnly BiH cizenship.
UNFPA is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.UNFPA does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Assistant Representative, in Coordination with the Representative, designs, develops, and manages an innovative and responsive country programme. You will lead the programme team, inspiring it to translate the regional and country goals into tangible solutions and results.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesYou will contribute to the management of UNFPA programme activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health and gender. Working to advance the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment, you will respond to changing priorities of Governments. Promoting partnership and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral agencies and civil society will be key to your role. You will coordinate technical advisers and contribute to UN systems coordination through participation in policy dialogue and provision of inputs into joint common system initiatives. Reporting to the UNFPA Representative, you will act on Representative’s behalf as required.
You would be responsible for:
- Conducting policy dialogue with Government, UN and other development partners to incorporate UNFPA’s priorities and agenda into national plans and strategies, and UN systems, initiatives and development frameworks.
- Translating global strategies into country-specific advocacy strategies. This includes creating and delivering evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals, taking into account political and social sensitivities.
- Promoting a results-based approach, integrating innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of country programmes, sub-programmes and projects. You will ensure programmes are responsive to the country’s needs in areas of UNFPA’s strategic priorities.
- Facilitating the achievement of programme results by identifying, providing and coordinating inputs into programme development and implementation, ensuring programme monitoring and oversight, and coordinating and evaluating the inputs of consultants and technical experts.
- Promoting knowledge sharing and continuous learning including testing, evaluating and documenting innovative strategies and best practices internal and external to UNFPA, and integrating these as appropriate.
- Contributing to resource mobilisation by identifying potential donors, preparing proposals including outlining co-financing resources for support to the country programme, and supporting the government and other agencies in coordinating assistance for programmes.
- Coordinating programme leads in consultation with the Representative and ensuring programme coherence, implementation and delivery while aligning to the relevant budgets and other resources including human resources.
- Promoting the ICPD programme of Action as well as the Nairobi commitments and more especially Gender equality and the empowerment of women within the programme planning, implementation and delivery.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
Embracing change Functional Competencies:
- Advocacy / Advancing a policy-orientated agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners / building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
Communicating for impact Managerial Competencies:
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related discipline.
- Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of development and population activities, including programme designing, appraisal and management is required.
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organisational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities is required
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results is required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to foster engaged partnerships at a high level of representation and to maintain political partnerships is required.
- Fluency in English and Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian languages; knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
UNFPA reserves the right to not make any appointment to the vacancy, and/or to make an appointment at a lower level from the one advertised.
Broj izvršilaca: 1
Datum objave: 19.07.2021.
Trajanje oglasa: 30 dana (ističe 18.08.2021. )