Title: Regional Programme Associate
Job ID: 22004
Practice Area – Job Family: Peace Building
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 27/03/2019
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 1 year
BIH citizens only
Based on experiences in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and at the initiative of the BiH Presidency, the participating UN agencies’ (UNDP, UNICEF, UNESCO) country teams in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Serbia developed a joint multi-country (regional) programme to foster regional dialogue and address barriers to social cohesion in and among the countries concerned. Due to BiH’s geographic position in the Western Balkans, its complex demographic structure and (in recent history) challenging political dynamics, inter-communal tensions and trends echo the loudest across this particular country. The impetus for the current multi-country programme recognizes that social divisions and negative dynamics in the region continue to generate tensions that hamper progress toward stronger social cohesion, stability and trust among all the populations living here.
This programme posits the hypothesis that if members from different (ethnic) groups in the region, and especially youth, are sufficiently capacitated to engage in constructive dialogue and provided structured opportunities to identify social cohesion priorities and communicate them to their elected leaders and relevant institutions through dialogue platforms, and address them through joint projects and activities, then this will ensure broad-based participation and create partnerships across the four countries in pursuit of commonly identified priorities because skill-building for constructive dialogue, identification of common social cohesion priorities and joint action to address them will help break down barriers among various groups and help build a sense of connectedness and understanding, which are requisite in resilience to conflict.
This joint multi-country programme is complementary to the European Commission’s Strategy for the Western Balkans (WB), adopted in February 2018, which puts reconciliation, good neighborly relations and regional cooperation in focus. Activities and results under this joint programme also contribute to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in BiH and the region, particularly goals 4, 5, 11, 16, 17.
Activities planned under the joint multi-country programme have the following:
Outcome: Stability and trust in the region, and especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina, are enhanced.
Output 1.1: Different groups in the region, and youth in particular, acquire and practice skills to help break stereotypes and constructively interact across divides.
Output 1.2: Citizens from different groups jointly identify and implement actions that can promote social cohesion in the region, especially in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Output 1.3: Policy recommendations to improve social cohesion in the region are effectively advocated for and endorsed by authorities and relevant stakeholders.
UNDP Country Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in capacity of Convening Agent and on behalf of participating UN agencies, is seeking to recruit a Programme Associate, that would closely work with, and be supervised by, the Joint UN (Regional) Programme Coordinator and other team members to support overall coordination among UN teams in the participating countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support to the Joint Regional Programme Coordinator in overall project coordination, ensuring quality of business processes:
- Ensures that submissions for the regional project are prepared in line with the standards, rules and regulations of the programme;
- Supports all procurement processes within the project coordination activities according to the UNDP rules and regulations;
- Assists in the organization of field visits, missions, workshops, trainings, round-tables and conferences within the project;
- Maintains and updates all administrative, personnel and financial files and records as well as general office files related to the regional project;
- Assists in preparation of draft job descriptions, vacancy announcements, requests for recruitments, interview minutes and requests for contract;
- Maintains the inventory of project assets/equipment and project correspondence and files;
- Assists team members, experts and consultants, in liaison with UNDP Operations, on financial and other operational matters.
Support to project financial monitoring and management:
- Prepares and processes all regional project coordination – related financial transactions in Global Atlas System, such as vouchers, requisitions, customer/vendor info updates within the Country Office internal database, project budget revisions etc.;
- Supports periodic and ad-hoc financial reporting to the Peacebuilding Fund and other parties, as needed;
- Supports the project management in monitoring expenditures and commitments against project budget and relevant plans;
- Provides finance-related data to support project implementation, planning and reporting;
- Drafts various correspondence concerning finance, operations and budgetary issues as required.
Support to project planning:
- Collects, analyses and presents information for monitoring and evaluation of project implementation against project targets;
- Compiles and designs background information for formulation of project work plans, draft annual/quarterly budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements, draft of quarterly project reports;
- Monitors quality of delivery of inputs provided by the consultants, beneficiaries and contracted companies and communicates findings to the supervisor;
- Maintains timetables for the Joint Programme Board and Strategic Advisory Board meetings and provides support to organizing and holding the meetings, including the preparation and dissemination of information and follow-up.
Facilitation and support to knowledge sharing, exchange of experiences and partnership
- Supports promotion and facilitation of cooperation among participating UN agencies through exchange of information, good practices, peer-to-peer learning and joint coordination meetings;
- Supports planning and management of the overall multi-country joint programme, including creation of a comprehensive depository of project tools, methodologies, publications and materials;
- Facilitates and stimulates interaction and synergies between the project and other stakeholders working in the field of development (donors, international organisations);
- Supports compiling and systematising Project knowledge, products and tools and their wide distribution to partners.
Support gender equality mainstreaming within the project.
- Supports the Joint Regional Programme Coordinator in mainstreaming gender equality in the project implementation;
- Ensures that all project documents prepared by the incumbent are written using gender sensitive language;
- In the preparation of meetings/consultations/trainings ensures gender balance of participants as much and possible.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda/Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships/Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/ Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches Responds positively to new approaches
Resource Mobilization/Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Client Orientation/Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external client in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
- Informed and transparent decision making;
- Solid analytical and drafting skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to effectively handle multiple concurrent project components
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in public administration, economics, law, political sciences, or related field.
- Secondary education with additional three years of experience may be accepted in lieu of BA.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience for candidates with a university degree; or 6 years of the same relevant experience for candidates with a secondary education;
- Knowledge and previous experiences in working with governmental and non-governmental organizations will be considered an asset;
- Understanding of the overall political, administrative and institutional set-up administrative systems in participating countries;
- Proven record of theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the area of local or regional development, project cycle management, community development and finances;
- Sound understanding of M&E would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers especially Microsoft Office applications and ability to use information technology as a tool and resource.
Language Requirements: §
- Fluency in official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Fluency in English with good drafting and presentation skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.