Title: Project Officer EGG – PEIP
Job ID: 25341
Practice Area – Job Family: Democratic Governance
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 26/08/2019
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
BIH citizens only
Bosnia and Herzegovina is facing
an intricate set of development challenges, including high unemployment,
growing poverty, and a wide array of socio-economic inequalities. Corruption in
particular is widespread and hinders the government’s capacity to provide
quality public services to its citizens. While public enterprises (PEs)
represent a main conduit for governments to exercise their mandates, their
mismamanagement or abuse remains a key obstacle to good governance.
The Public Enterprise Integrity Project, funded by the Government of the Kingdom of Norway will attempt to provide a workable model for overhauling the integrity framework under which PEs presently operate. This will be done through a series of baseline assessments as well as concrete measures to address weaknesses identified within the PE system. The Project will be piloted in Canton Sarajevo, the largest regional administrative unit in the country, catering to a population of some 500,000 across 9 local communities.
The Project will introduce systemic and scalable improvements in targeted public enterprises’ internal control and risk management environment through the following activities:
- Administration of an external review of selected public enterprises operating in Canton Sarajevo;
- Implementation of an assessment of existing internal control and risk management/governance environment (Corruption Risk Mapping);
- Development of an action document entailing capacity building, structural and policy changes to encompass improvements in anti-corruption and fraud prevention protocols, financial management practices, internal supervision and control procedures, as well as public procurement process management;
- Supporting internalization of systemic improvements to the companies’ integrity framework.
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Project Manager, the Project Officer will contribute to the implementation of the Public Enterprise Integrity Project (PEIP).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Officer will have the following key functions:
Coordination of the design and administration of Project activities as well as oversight of it:
- Coordinates the work of selected service providers;
- Assists with the design and administration of an assessment of existing internal control and risk management/governance environment (Corruption Risk Mapping) in the three selected companies;
- Secures productive interaction between service providers and relevant line ministries as wel as the Prime Minister’s Office;
- Facilitates and supports creation of an action document entailing capacity building, structural and policy changes to encompass improvements in anti-corruption and fraud prevention protocols, financial management practices, internal supervision and control procedures, as well as public procurement process management;
- Supports the Project’s efforts for internalization of systemic improvements to the companies’ integrity framework;
- Organizes project events, to include training exercises, workshops, meetings and roundtables, providing oversight and ensuring quality of delivery;
- Provides the Project Manager with substantive data inputs based on project experiences and monitoring of progress against set targets;
- Encourages and supports knowledge sharing, exchanges of experience and partnership building across the designated area of responsibility through thematic networking events and other activities;
- Duly collects data and all relevant information at the local level, so as to contribute to measurable review of results and longer-term Project effects, as per the Project M&E plan and logical framework;
- Supports sharing and scaling-up successful approaches in the broader UNDP local governance team.
Provision of advisory and operational assistance to the Prime Minister’s Office
- Serves as coordination focal point between the project and the cantonal government;
- Provides technical advice, guidance and support to cantonal government in the process of introducing new tools and solutions aimed at improving PEs integrity;
- Identifies and supports regulatory changes at the cantonal level, from viewpoint of economic governance and integrity performance;
- Captures and ensures wide promotion and visibility of Project achievements, particularly with regard to local success stories and in cooperation with the cantonal presss office.
Provision of technical advice and support to other projects within the sector in the subject-areas of integrity, anti-corruption and good governance
- Provides substantive inputs in the planning and implementation of other programmatic interventions that have an anti-corruption or good governance component;
- Ensures quality of relevant products delivered by other projects in the sector;
- Delivers analysis of pertinent trends and developments in the real of anti-corruption and public secror integrity.
Gender equality mainstreaming within the Project:
- Supports gender equality mainstreaming in Project implementation;
- Ensures that relevant Project documents are written using gender sensitive language.
Ensuring knowledge management in the domain and coordinating within UNDP and beyond:
- Captures relevant Project experiences and lessons learned;
- Researches best practices, generates ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Actively shares experience and knowledge, as well as coordinates Project activities and approaches with the broader local governance team within UNDP and beyond.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda/Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/ Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships/Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization/ Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/ Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals/ Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Client Orientation/Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in business or economics.
- University degree with additional two years of experience may be taken into the consideration in lieu of the Master degree
- At least three years (5 years with BA) of relevant working experience, preferably in the area of finance;
- Knowledge and expertise in the area of audit, due diligence and/or conduct of fiscal reviews;
- Understanding of the overall political, administrative and institutional set-up of cantonal government in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Excellent communication and networking skills, as well as ability to effectively interact with governmental, private and civic stakeholders. Proven practival experience in interaction wirg governemental, private and civic stakeholders
- Familiarity with key public documents, strategies and trends related to the public enterprise framework in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource;
- Experience in research and reporting.
- Fluency in English and in official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with excellent drafting and presentation skills
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.