Title: Agriculture Policy Coordinator
Job ID: 28171
Practice Area – Job Family: Capacity Development
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 27/01/2020
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: I-Master’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
BIH citizens only.
The European Union Support to Agriculture Competitiveness and Rural Development in Bosnia and Herzegovina (EU4Agri) is a 4-year project (2020-2023) primarily funded by the European Union (EU) under the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA). Worth EUR 20 million, the project is implemented jointly by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Czech Development Agency (CzDA).
In line with the Strategic Plan for Rural Development of Bosnia and Herzegovina (2018-2021) – Framework Document, the project objective is to increase the competitiveness of agricultural production and rural jobs and services. In this context, the project will focus on raising investments in the agri-food sector and increasing the knowledge and skill levels of agricultural producers and other participants in the value chain through the expanded provision of advisory services, as well as on improving economic opportunities in rural areas. The project will also enhance the policy environment through a coherent and complementary set of activities, including strengthening of institutional capacities and services, as well as improvements in policy and regulatory frameworks.
Accordingly, the project expected results are as follows:
- Higher levels of production of safe and quality food based on introduced innovative practices, while preserving the natural resources and the countryside, are sustained; and
- Policy actions are implemented in EU aligned manner, based on sector services and systems improved
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Agriculture Policy Coordinator will perform the following main functions, with due respect to the UNDP rules and regulations and the UNDP internal control framework:
- Conceptualisation and coordination of the Grant Investment Package (GIP);
- Conceptualisation and coordination of technical assistance;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- Support in mainstreaming gender equality.
1. Conceptualisation and coordination of the GIP:
- Conceptualises and designs the Grant Investment Package (GIP) in close cooperation with institutional partners and the GIP Manager. GIP will be designed as a coherent, coordinated set of support measures whose complementarity enables impact maximisation, it will be broken into three intervention lines. The first intervention line will focus on investment in both the farm and processing sectors; the second will focus on strengthening advisory and extension services to increase sectoral knowledge, skills and organisation; while the third will target strengthening and diversifying the rural economy.
- Oversees monitoring and evaluation of support measures under GIP;
- Contributes to the overall project planning, monitoring and reporting;
- Provides regular reports on GIP implementation, including risks and issues, to the Project Manager.
- Analytically captures lessons-learnt and drafts reports based on the project experiences and monitoring of progress against set targets, including from the gender equality perspective;
- Analyses economic environment, particularly in relevant sub-sectors and localities;
- Keeps abreast of relevant trends, practices and experiences related to agri-food and rural development in the region and the EU;
- Actively engages with institutional partners and other stakeholders in the sector to ensure their active participation in project activities, transfer and anchoring of good practices towards increased competitiveness of agricultural production and rural jobs and services;
- Participates in the relevant project’s commissions/boards;
2. Conceptualisation and coordination of project technical assistance:
- Analyses capacities and needs of targeted stakeholders;
- Provides oversight and ensures quality of design of technical assistance for capacity development, including the indicators for monitoring;
- Coordinates planning and day-to-day implementation of GIP-related technical assistance to institutional partners and targeted agri-food operators;
- Identifies and coordinates implementation of the policy actions contributing to the realisation of Strategic Plan for Rural Development of BIH;
- Ensures close coordination and collaboration with relevant activities implemented by CzDA;
- Coordinates and supervises the work of the consultants/service/goods providers for technical assistance;
- Prepares analytical reviews and reports related to the overall implementation of technical assistance;
- Coordinates training workshops, meetings, round tables and other events;
- Ensures full accountability, transparency and the principle of competition in the allocation of resources, procurement of services, works and goods and selection of recipients;
- Identifies and supports the implementation of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders and propose new partnership opportunities which would add value and maximize the project results.
3. Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Participates in the trainings for the operations/projects staff on relevant programmatic or operational procedures;
- When necessary, provides guidance to project staff in programmatic/business processes, administrative and other requirements and procedures;
- Support the Project Manager in dissemination and sharing relevant data and lessons learned within the CO and regionally;
- Supports continuous learning by the project team and contributes to the UNDP in-house thematic knowledge and practitioners’ networks;
- Establishes connections of exchange and learning with national and regional local development networks and resource persons.
4. Mainstreaming gender equality:
- Ensures gender mainstreaming throughout the project activities, workplans, budgets, reports, research, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyse it in detail;
- Ensures that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs related to the project, are gender and age disaggregated and evaluated from the gender point of view;
- Ensures minimum 30% participation of the other gender in the preparation of meetings/consultations/trainings/commissions.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficient, effective, transparent and accountable implementation of the EU4Agri project, ensuring capacity development of project’s stakeholders through provision of high quality and relevant technical assistance and trainings.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda/Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis:
- Assesses Project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyses country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships/Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues;
- Analyses and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job knowledge /Technical Expertise/Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and Project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Client Orientation/Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Ability to draft documents in clear and concise manner;
- Able to identify priority activities and assignments and allocate appropriate time and resources for effective and efficient work completion;
- Creates a work environment which minimizes stress and ensures an even distribution of workload;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Excellent conceptualization and analytical skills;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in agronomy, development studies, economics or another relevant field.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in the field of economic development, with focus on rural development;
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in provision of technical assistance and trainings with the focus on agri-food sector and rural development;
- Demonstrated knowledge of agri-food sector and rural development needs and processes in the country, as well as within the context of the EU integrations;
- Familiarity with key public documents, strategies and trends related to the overall development agenda of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Fluency in English and the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with excellent drafting and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills (especially Microsoft Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.