Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 28-September-2018
Position Title: Regional Content Production Expert
Project Name: Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one other local language
Supervisor: Project Director
Starting Date: On or around October 15, 2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months from date of hire with potential for extension
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
The Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia project is a regional media support project in Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the Caucasus that aims to increase citizens’ access to reliable information about local, regional, and international issues of public importance through support to the independent media sector.
The Regional Content Production Expert will oversee and coach media production houses in the Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia) during the production process for national and regional multimedia packages. S/he will provide editorial and production support for the national and regional packages, and will then post these packages on a regional content exchange platform for wider distribution. S/he will also select the best regional content for translation into English to reach broad international audiences. S/he willshare multimedia techniques and tools at annual Storytelling Inspiration Labs. S/he will work closely with a group of Country Coordinators in the Balkans as well as project staff throughout Eastern Europe and the Caucasus to develop and manage content for the regional multimedia packages.
- Select Balkan media outlets and production houses to produce national and regional multimedia news packages in collaboration with Balkan Country Coordinators and the Project Director.
- Manage a grants pool for cross-border regional multimedia news production projects across Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, and the Balkans. Ensure that cross-border grant-supported projects are completed according to set editorial and technical parameters and budgets.
- Provide editorial and technical support for national and regional multimedia packages, including brainstorming packages’ concepts and topics, approving project plans/calendars and final materials; providing final editing and overall production supervision; and other related responsibilities as necessary.
- Maintain and post project-supported multimedia materials to a regional content exchange platform for wide distribution throughout Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, and the Balkans.
- Collaborate with other Internews projects for cross-promotion of regional content on a Balkans-specific online media resource platform to expand audience reach.
- Identify regional content with international appeal and coordinate translation of this content into English with project partners for distribution abroad. Facilitate other translation and/or engage translators for project materials and events in conjunction with Country Coordinators as necessary.
- Attend annual Storytelling Inspiration Labs and lead sessions/workshops for participants on various multimedia production tools and techniques, as necessary.
- Oversee data collection from grantees for narrative and M&E reporting, and contribute material for program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation in collaboration with project and HQ staff and as per award stipulations.
- Monitor multimedia trends and tools and share them with project staff and beneficiaries.
- Promote project-related opportunities among potential and current beneficiaries and stakeholders through various channels, including social media.
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years of experience in multimedia editorial and content production. Working knowledge in the following areas; professional expertise in at least three of these areas preferred: convergent media platforms, editorial management, multimedia content production, inclusive and human-centered reporting, audience engagement, and media analytics.
- 1-2 years of experience administering grants for USG or international donor-funded programs preferred.
- Proven ability to supervise, manage, and implement technical assistance for donor-funded media programs, including providing editorial and technical support and guidance to media outlets.
- Experience maintaining an online content sharing platform (ex. Google Drive) strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of the Balkan media sector and journalism trends, as well as a general interest in larger media trends and events in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and common online and social media platforms,
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, independent, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse, remotely-located staff.
- Fluency in English required; fluency or proficiency in at least one local Balkan language preferred.
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
Qualified candidates are invited to send their cover letter and CV (in English) to email@example.com, with the name of the job position they’re applying to in the subject line of the e-mail.
Application Deadline: September-28-2018.