Location: JDN’s (OCCRP’s) current headquarters in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Terms: This position is full-time, pending a standard six-month probation period.
Date of Issuance: April 15, 2019
JDN (OCCRP) is seeking an experienced Researcher who is adept in the craft of information gathering, from searching public records and archival databases to tracking subjects on social media. You will join a team of researchers supporting investigative journalists who work to turn the tables on corruption and hold the powerful to account. Our team has contributed to major cross-border journalistic projects, such as The Troika Laundromat and Panama Papers.
An ideal candidate for this position can track facts through massive data sets, locate people who are hard to find, and map out company connections to “follow the money.”
You’ll team up with reporters and editors from around the world who file requests with our Investigative Dashboard seeking help with hard-hitting investigations.
- Research background information about people and companies
- Basic interpretation of corporate, legal, property and financial documents
- Produce short reports on research findings
- Liaise closely with other senior researchers and journalists
- Use logic to connect findings
- Be personally accountable for the accuracy of your own research results
- Identify ways to obtain information from new sources and countries
We are looking for someone who:
- Has either BiH citizenship or the right to reside and work in BiH
- Has higher education, preferably with previous experience in research, law or finance
- Is able to work well with people from range of countries, languages and backgrounds, online and in person. Research is done mainly in English but most clients are not native speakers.
- Thorough with strong attention for detail; Service-orientated
- Has a passion for digging through data sets to pull out facts
- Is adept at deciphering public records to get the facts on an individual or company
- Can think creatively about approaching complex research requests and find the seemingly unfindable
- Can speak English at a professional level
- Second language would be a plus, ideally Russian
- Familiarity with common research tools like Nexis and Orbis, as well as JDN’s (OCCRP’s) own database, aleph
- The ability to make sense of financial reports
- Experience with SQL
- A background in journalism is not required for this position.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter detailing your research experience, as well as links to any previous projects you have worked on to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2019.
All applications must be submitted in English.
We regret that we are not able to reply to unsuccessful candidates.
Trajanje oglasa: ističe 30.04.2019.