Duty Station: Sarajevo
Application Deadline: 03 December 2020
Position Title: Project Officer / Area Development Officer
Contract type: Consultancy with possibility of extension and transfer to SST
Grade: Equivalent to G5
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and local languages in BiH
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: SVN 39-11/20
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
|IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.|
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing a program to prevent violent extremism. The program aims to reduce the threat of violent extremism (VE) in BiH and counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit community tensions. To achieve these objectives, BHRI designs and implements small-grant activities through a process-oriented, community driven approach that emphasizes project processes.
Under the overall guidance of the Program Manager and the direct supervision of the Senior Field Coordinator, the Project Officer will be responsible and accountable for the planning, coordination, development, implementation and overall management of activities in his/her assigned geographic area, including outreach and coordination with local authorities, communities and local partners.
- Responsible for development of projects and implementation of activities in assigned geographic area, including the supervision of field operations assistants and project assistants
- Provide inputs to the program management on programmatic strategy including where to focus program resources
- Take the lead to develop small grant activities that respond to the program strategy, emerging opportunities, evolving priorities and expectations in program’s areas of operation, for program senior management and donor discussion and donor approval
- Draft and prepare all necessary documentation required for the grant submission process including project proposals and budgets
- Provide program management with ongoing assessment and anticipation of political events, including their potential impact on the program and activities
- Represent the program at local level in various forums and inter-agency meetings and events
- Liaise closely with the project assistants and logistics assistants to ensure timely implementation and monitoring of all grant activities in geographic area
- Track all grant activities in geographic area using existing program tools to ensure timely grant development, implementation and completion/closure of projects
- Assist in developing and coordinate and implement methodologies for engaging government entities and local communities on an on-going basis for project identification and implementation
- Work with project assistants to ensure the timely submission of weekly grant activity notes to the Programme Development Officer (PDO)
- Work closely with the M&E team in monitoring and evaluating grants during implementation and once the grant activities are completed, and to ensure that lessons learned are incorporated into future activities
- Undertake regular travel to identify, develop and/or manage potential and current programming opportunities
- Provide inputs to the PM and PDO and share information on programming trends and impact, lessons learned and best practices within the programme
- Ensure that weekly and monthly targets for grant commitment and disbursement are met in area of responsibility
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or related field
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning;
- Communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (CV, motivation letter and filled out IOM Internal Vacancy Form) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject: SVN 39-11/20 Project Officer / Area Development Officer
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Additional documents, in line with the local laws, will be requested by the successful candidate upon finalization of the selection process.
Applications must be received by 03 December 2020.
Posting period: 19 November – 03 December 2020.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Closing Date: Thursday, December 3, 2020