Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 03 June 2020
Position Title: National Admin and Finance Officer, BHRI
Contract type: OYFT
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 19-05/20
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
|IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.|
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing a programme to prevent violent extremism in Bosnia-Herzegovina. The programme aims to reduce the threat of violent extremism (VE) in BiH and counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit community tensions. To achieve these objectives, the Bosnia and Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) programme designs and implements small-grant activities through a process-oriented, community driven approach that emphasizes project processes.
Under the overall guidance of the Sub-Regional Coordinator for the Western Balkans and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager/Chief of Party (PM) for BHRI, the National Admin and Finance Officer will be responsible and accountable for overseeing the procurement and logistics, finance and administration and human resources units of the programme.
- Directly supervise the programme’s finance, administrative and human resources unit. Oversee the financial management for all activities within the BHRI programme, including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake financial analysis of project in accordance with established IOM regulations and procedures
- Oversee the programme’s procurement and logistics unit and ensure that IOM and donor regulations and procedures are followed, including contracts with service providers and suppliers of goods and services and related administration authorities
- Ensure coordination with IOM Mission Finance, HR and Procurement departments in line with the memo that delineates the division of functions and responsibilities between BHRI (OTI funded) and the IOM Mission
- Review and verify all procurement requests, bids analysis, purchase orders and payment requests
- Prepare treasury forecasting cash flows for the IOM Mission Finance Department according to activities within the programme and ensure daily control of funds disbursed.
- Coordinate, review and prepare budget revision and financial reports for donor and financial analysis of project in accordance with IOM and donor reporting requirements.
- Oversee budget control process and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures
- Prepare weekly updates and financial analysis on grants disbursements.
- Produce and regularly update instructions and procedures in order to complement or to adapt the general instructions of IOM, taking into consideration the volume of activities, staffing and the constraints and specific needs within the programme.
- Ensure integrity of all financial supporting documentation ensuring proper filling and archive thereof to satisfy IOM and Donor regulations
- Train BHRI programme staff on IOM’s administrative/financial policies and procedures; evaluate regular financial updates and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends
- Ensure that appropriate and up-to-date filing system is maintained by the project Finance/Procurement/Administration Departments
- Oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of buildings as well as the functioning of all support services for BHRI project
- Assist the PM in managing the human resources function and make recommendations on recruitment, retention, promotion, and separation of local staff
- Monitor and work with implementing partners, control of financial statements and reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Interpret and apply Human Resources (HR) policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases.
- Ensure that all necessary documentation is provided to the Mission HR focal point
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education: Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution in Accounting or Business Administration plus two years of relevant working experience; or Master’s Degree with no working experience
Experience: Minimum two years of relevant professional experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Audit experience highly regarded.
- Experience in IOM administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
Language(s): Fluent English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
More information bih.iom.int