Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 30 May 2022 (re-advertised SVN 23-02/22 and 37-03/22)
Position Title: Protection and MHPSS Assistant
Contract type: SST
Contract duration: 6 months, renewable
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: SVN 51-05/22
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading inter- governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM, together with the international community, assists the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration-related areas, including, amongst others, the protection of vulnerable migrants; border management; assisted voluntary return; diaspora; technical assistance on migration management; disaster risk reduction and recovery.
Under the direct supervision of the Protection and MHPSS Coordinator and the overall supervision of the Migration Response Coordinator, the candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Assist in implementation of the foreseen Protection and MHPSS activities in a timely manner.
- Facilitate the registration and re-registration of migrants without status, the day-to-day operations. Observe, monitor, and contribute to the screening of migrants and ensure ethical referral of migrants in vulnerable situations.
- Initiate and participate in case management and ensure all vulnerable cases are managed, followed up, with regular coordination and reporting to the Protection and MHPSS Area Coordination Assistant in a timely manner.
- Assist in conducting regular service mapping in all sites, participatory assessments, information provision activities, and prepare informative materials.
- Provide assistance to the Protection MHPSS focal points in the field.
- In close coordination with CCCM teams, ensure screening of vulnerable migrants is conducted on a daily basis in all sites, provide the needed support, and report regularly on the numbers of screenings and vulnerabilities identified.
- Assist in identifying gaps and needs in service provision for vulnerable migrants and in identifying deviations from the agreed upon referral pathways.
- Assist in disseminating awareness and community messages related to psychosocial wellbeing.
- Ensure timely implementing and reporting on IOM Protection and MHPSS activities are regularly shared with the Protection and MHPSS Area Coordination Assistant.
- Participate in relevant sector meetings on the camp level as well as working groups.
- Assist the Protection and MHPSS Coordinator with other assigned duties.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Studies in related fields, such as social studies, psychology, social work, anthropology political science, international relations, or development studies with 2 (two) years of professional experience, or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with 4 (four) years of relevant professional experience.
- Work experience in social work, assistance of vulnerable populations, or case management scenarios.
- Experience in working with foreign nationals, irregular migrants, trafficked persons, children, and/or other vulnerable populations.
- Experience in counselling, networking, and ensuring access to services.
- Excellent understanding and application of ethical practices within the disciplines and a good understanding of rights-based approaches.
- Proficient in computer applications.
- Good written and spoken communications skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, high loyalty, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and good working in team.
- Driving license is essential for this position.
- In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration-related subject areas dealt with by the Organization.
Language(s): Fluent English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian). Working knowledge of Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto, Urdu, Dari, Punjabi, Turkish is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Emergency and Crisis
- Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments.
- Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and makes use of coordination structures.
- Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM, and other emergency response actors.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners. Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF- Personal History Form and motivation letter) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that only attached PHF will be taken into consideration and processed.
Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form in attachment.
Please note that only the attached IOM PHF will be considered.
Subject: SVN 51-05/22
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 30 May 2022. Posting period: 17 May 2022 – 30 May 2022
As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
For all IOM vacancies, applications form qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite of taking up position as a staff member in the GS category is right of residence and right to work in the country of the duty station at the time of application.