Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 25 May 2022
Position Title: Senior Project Assistant/Coordinator
Contract type: SST Graded
Contract duration: 6 months, renewable
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: SVN 48-05/22
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading inter- governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM, together with the international community, assists the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration-related areas, including, amongst others, the protection of vulnerable migrants; border management; assisted voluntary return; diaspora; technical assistance on migration management; disaster risk reduction and recovery.
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the National Project Officer (NPO), the Senior Project Assistant / Project Coordinator will coordinate the implementation of project activities and identify new community engagement and social cohesion opportunities under IOM’s resilience and social cohesion portfolio.
- Coordinate implementation of the project related to improving resilience and social cohesion in communities, including supervision of the project’s assistants and community engagement assistants
- Manage the project’s calls for proposals, grants and community initiatives in accordance with IOM guidance/rules, regulations and procedures
- In close cooperation with the NPO, review the narrative, technical and budgetary components of all grant applications and reports and ensure they capture all aspects required to fulfil the goals and objectives of the project.
- Coordinate smooth implementation of project activities and achievement of the overall project objectives as stated in the project document
- Participate in the selection, training and mentoring of facilitators/trainers for the project’s capacity building components
- In coordination with the NPO, establish linkages and build partnerships with counterpart in relation to the implementation and coordination of project activities
- Support coordination of activities related to incorporation of different approaches into project activities
- Regularly monitor and analyses the project environment and progress, using applicable M&E and risk management tools where relevant, and advise on timely readjustments of strategies and corrective actions as necessary
- Cooperate closely with the Media Specialist for implementation of all the project’s media- related activities
- In coordination with the NPO ensure effective monitoring of project performance, and the preparation of high quality and results-oriented progress reports
- Prepare presentations and regular reports on the project activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Education: University degree in social sciences, human rights or other related fields is favored, with four years of relevant work experience or high school diploma with six years of relevant working experience
- Proven experience and knowledge in project coordination and management
- Understanding of issues young persons in BiH are facing, also related to the new phenomena of radicalization and violent extremism
- Proven experience on training conduction and developing life-long learning programme
- Experience related to youth empowerment, inclusion and participation, and/or community development
- Proven experience on preparation of written reports in an accurate and concise manner
- Knowledge of the social, political, and economic situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the gender perspectives in different areas of work within IOM;
- Knowledge of IOM financial rules and regulations
- Excellent organizational, time management and facilitation skills
- Having strong knowledge and skills on methodology development related to psychosocial support
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding in the field of prevention of violent extremism;
- Proficiency in computer applications, such as MS Office, Internet Explorer, PRIMA, PRISM
- Strong communication, presentation, and coordination skills;
- Sensitivity to identification of any possible issues, cause of delay or threat to accomplishment of project targets;
- Valid driving license and possession of a personal vehicle
- Willingness and ability to conduct travel whenever needed
Language(s): Fluent English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF – Personal History Form and motivation letter) electronically by email to: email@example.com. Please be advised that only attached PHF will be taken into consideration and processed.
Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form in attachment.
Please note that only the attached IOM PHF will be considered.
Subject: SVN 48-05/22
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 25 May 2022. Posting period: 12-25 May 2022.
As part of the mandatory medical entry on duty clearance, candidates will be requested to provide evidence of full vaccination against COVID-19.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
For all IOM vacancies, applications form qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite of taking up position as a staff member in the GS category is right of residence and right to work in the country of the duty station at the time of application.