Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 22 January 2019
Position Title: Project Assistant
Languages Required: English (fluent), B/S/C (fluent), Albanian is considered an advantageous
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 02-01-2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – the UN Migration Agency – is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM has been present in the Western Balkan region and Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) since 1990s. Since the end of the war, IOM has continued to assist the population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future.
Today, with a focus on building the capacity of government authorities to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in different fields including but not limited to Migration and Border Management, with particular focus on Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants; Counter Trafficking in Human Beings and Counter Smuggling of Migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Project/Programme Manager, the incumbent will provide assistance in the implementation of the sub-regional project “Countering smuggling of migrants along the Western Balkan route” implemented in Albania, Montenegro and BiH and funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the national project “Short and Medium-Term Support to Strengthen Counter-Trafficking Efforts in BiH”, funded by USAID Bosnia-Hercegovina.
The Project Assistant will assist the PM with the following:
- Prepare Purchase Request Form (PRF) and ensure that all necessary information concerning specifications, justifications, WBS and expected delivery dates are correct.
- Prepare Payment Request (PR) and follow-up with the Finance Unit.
- Keep regular contact with vendors regarding prices, product availability, and timely delivery of goods and services;
- Manage the logistics of and coordinate content development for meetings, conferences, trainings, and other project-related events;
- Assist in the preparation, planning and organization of specific meetings / events / trainings / conferences;
- Arrange meetings between local parties and the project team when required;
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of activities to achieve project outputs and outcomes, and expenditures in accordance to the budget;
- Provide administrative and logistic support required for the successful implementation of project activities;
- Prepare and review texts related to Project/Programme achievements for the purpose of public information and social media activities;
- Assist with drafting of reports and other documents in both English and BSC languages, including translation, when required; and
- Perform other duties as assigned including for other teams of IOM Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Social Sciences or a related field, with four years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s Degree preferably in Social Sciences or related field, with two years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Previous experience with event management or project management;
- Previous professional administrative experience;
- Good IT knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications;
- Able to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility, responsibility, integrity, team work, self-motivated, preparedness to work off-time;
- Able to work with little supervision, focused, well organized, detail-oriented;
- Knowledge of migration and human rights, migrant rights, irregular migration, gender issues, and human trafficking is preferable;
- Good understanding of government structures and local context of BiH and Western Balkan region; and
- Driving license and willingness and ability to conduct travel across the Western Balkan region.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (CV, motivation letter and filled out IOM Personal History Form) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only IOM PHP will be considered.
Subject: VN 02-01-19 Project Assistant
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Additional documents, in line with the local laws, will be requested by the successful candidate upon finalization of the selection process.
Applications must be received by 22 January 2019.
Posting period: 11 January – 22 January 2019
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Closing Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2019