Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 28-September-2018
Position Title: Project Coordinator
Project Name: Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and at least one other local language
Supervisor: Project Director
Starting Date: On or around October 15, 2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months from date of hire with potential for extension
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
The Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia project is a regional media support project in Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the Caucasus that aims to increase citizens’ access to reliable information about local, regional, and international issues of public importance through support to the independent media sector.
The Project Coordinator will oversee all project activities and grants management that take place in the Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia). S/he will also be responsible for identifying and maintaining contact with production houses in BiH to producenational and regional multimedia news packages. S/he will promote and select potential trainers and participants from BiH for annual storytelling Inspiration Labs. S/he will manage and coordinate activities among Country Coordinators in the Balkans and serve as a point of contact for Balkans-related project activities for the rest of the project staff. S/he will also work closely with the Regional Content Production Expert to brainstorm and collect content produced in the Balkans for the project’s regional news program.
- Provide strategic and operational assistance in organizing and implementing activities that take place in the region and in BiH. Potential duties may include identifying and maintaining contact with local production houses and media outlets and assessing their work; liaising with event invitees, speakers, trainers, and participants; collaborating with project staff in other countries on joint events or content production/promotion; and other responsibilities.
- Provide overall support to project events by offering BiH-specific assistance (ex. finding local trainers and participants, etc.), providing input on event agendas and themes, and coordinating Balkan-wide efforts.
- Serve as the point of contact in the Balkans for the project, and represent the project at local events when necessary.
- Coordinate hiring and travel logistics for trainers, consultants, and event participants in the Balkans for project-supported events, and provide BiH-specific assistance with local visa applications, travel and accommodations arrangements, etc. in conjunction with other project staff as required.
- Work creatively with the project’s Regional Content Production Expert and local media outlets and production houses to identify and develop BiH-specific material for a regional multimedia news program. Coordinate Balkan-wide content generation efforts. Duties may include research on local trends and issues, correspondence with interested partners, supporting production of multimedia materials for the platform, communicating with other Balkan Country Coordinators to maximize regional content production efforts, etc.
- Oversee data collection for narrative and monitoring and evaluation reporting in the Balkans and contribute BiH-specific material for program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation in collaboration with project and HQ staff and as per award stipulations.
- Facilitate translation and/or engage translators for project materials and events as necessary.
- Monitor the local media environment and provide updates on current events, legal changes, and other information that could impact media and project activities in country to the project director and other project staff as necessary.
- Promote project-related opportunities among potential and current beneficiaries and stakeholders through various channels, including social media.
- Collect and review financial reports from subrecipients as necessary in conjunction with other project staff to ensure compliance with donor regulations.
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- 5-8 years programmatic and administrative experience, preferably working on USG or international donor-funded projects.
- Proven ability to supervise and manage a team of remote staff to implement technical assistance for donor-funded media programs on-time and on budget.
- Deep understanding of the local media sector, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in the Balkans.
- Working knowledge in the following areas; professional expertise in at least three of these areas preferred: convergent media platforms, media professionalism and ethics, editorial management, content production, inclusive and human-centered reporting, audience engagement, media analytics, ad revenue generation, financial sustainability strategies, content monetization, and business diversification.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and common online and social media platforms,
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, independent, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
- Fluency in English and Bosnian required; fluency or proficiency in at least one other local Balkan language preferred.
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
Qualified candidates are invited to send their cover letter and CV (in English) to email@example.com , with the name of the job position they’re applying to in the subject line of the e-mail.
Application Deadline: September-28-2018.