About the job
DRC re-opened its mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina in Late July 2018 aiming at supporting the BiH Authorities in managing the migration crisis in the country. Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been working in Bosnia and Herzegovina since 1992 and closed its office in the country at the end of January 2010 after 18 years. In July 2018 DRC re-opened its mission responding to increasing and priority needs of Person of Concern (PoCs) in close cooperation with the BiH Authorities. More specifically DRC BiH focuses on improving the access to primary and secondary health care including psychosocial and mental health services to PoCs, as well as on enhancing the overall protective environment for PoCs, with particular focus on case management in SGBV, and timely outreach response to rights violations at the borders. DRC has the main office in Sarajevo and activities implemented in Una-Sana, Herzegovina- Neretva, Sarajevo and Tuzla Canton.
Position: Translator Cultural Mediator (for Urdu/Pashto/Punjabi/Hindi/Persian/Arabic)
Project implementation period: 1 October – 31 May 2020 – contingent on confirmation of donor funding;
Duty Station: Duty Station: Bosnia and Herzegovina countrywide: USC, SC, TC, HNC – number of positions not specified – contingent on confirmation of donor funding – rolling recruitment;
Period of engagement: contingent on donor funding
Basic functions: Translator Cultural Mediator (for Urdu/Pashto/Punjabi/Hindi/Persian/Arabic languages) will provide translation and interpretation services to ensure appropriate, correct and smooth communication between Persons of Concern (PoC) and DRC staff.
Reference: Translator Cultural Mediator refers to the Protection Team Leader under the supervision of the Protection Program Manager, working in close coordination with the other members of the DRC team.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- to translate from the Urdu/Pashto/Punjabi/Hindi/Persian/Arabic languages into English or the Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian languages in support of the DRC project team;
- to provide precise interpretation/translation services facilitating communication between Protection Monitoring/Outreach Officer/ other service providers (including medical teams) and Persons of Concern;
- to organize, directly or in support of the DRC staff the information and counseling sessions (individual and group) to refugees/migrants and asylum seekers;
- to perform cultural mediation activities and support DRC staff in understanding specific aspects of the cultural background of beneficiaries with the aim to improve quality of DRC’s services;
- to secure mutual understanding between DRC staff and migrants/refugees and potential asylum seekers and ensure that main diversities as regards culture, traditions, religion, age, gender and other diversities are given adequate attention and consideration in order to build necessary trust with beneficiaries and maximize effects of counseling/information activity;
- to contribute to continuous advocacy for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors;
- to provide written translation when required;
- to take an active part in all necessary collateral activities linked to beneficiaries’ health and social assistance, including information and advocacy;
- to respect confidentiality of any sensitive information and adhere to the DRC Code of Conduct;
- to perform other tasks as required by the Protection Monitoring and Outreach Officer and medical staff.
Qualifications & experience required
- Urdu/Pashto/Punjabi/Hindi/Persian/Arabic language diploma or native speaker;
- Ability to work in a challenging environment, assess the situation and carry out immediate actions;
- Experience on refugee/migration-related issues would be an asset
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant job experience
- Ability to behave in the manner consistent with human rights obligations;
- Fluency in spoken and written BCS (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian) and English;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Valid driving license, high level of professionalism evidence by clear driver’s record;
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
DRC as an employerBy working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Read more here about what our employees say about working in DRC.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
Applications for this position should be sent via LINK.
Lokacija: Tuzlanski kanton, Hercegovačko-neretvanski kanton, Unsko-sanski kanton, Sarajevski kanton
Broj izvršilaca: 1
Datum objave: 25.03.2020.
Trajanje oglasa: 30 dana (ističe 24.04.2020. )