Médecins du Monde / Doctors of the World – Belgique (MdM-BE) is an international non-governmental organization based in Brussels, Belgium, which is part of the international MdM network. MdM-BE’s main activities are providing medical assistance to vulnerable groups in Belgium and the rest of the world. MdM’s vision is to provide universal (mental) health care globally and to ensure that all persons have access to care without barriers. MdM in Bosnia and Herzegovina provides mental health and psychosocial support activities for migrants and refugees.
For a project in Bosnia and Herzegovina, MdM is looking for:
Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Coordinator (m/f)
About the job
MdM-BE has been providing medico-psychosocial healthcare to asylum seekers in Croatia since August 2016. Based on this experience, the organisation decided to deploy its activities to Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) beginning in May 2019. As implementing partner of United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), MdM-BE supports women and girls on the move through the provision of mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and gender-based violence (GBV) services in Centers for women and girls (CWG). These CWG are based inside of three temporary reception centres (TRCs) that are temporarily accommodating refugees and migrants in Una Sana Canton (USC) and Sarajevo Canton (SC). From October 2019, MdM-BE started to enhance its presence in the country by expanding its programme to include Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services in four temporary reception centres (TRCs) in Una Sana Canton, two temporary reception centres in Sarajevo Canton and mobile PSS support in Tuzla Canton.
For that purpose, MdM-BE is looking for MHPSS Coordinator in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Place of work: Bihać with ferquent travel to Sarajevo
Period of engagement: April – May 2020
MHPSS Coordinator is responsible for technical supervision and management of all the current mental health and psychosocial support aspects of the mission. She/He also conducts assessment of the regional/national/local context relating to mental health sector (access to mental healthcare, mental health & migration, etc.); provides technical inputs regarding planning/development of future MdM’s projects/programs Bosnia and Herzegovina; and is largely involved into development/conduction of MdM advocacy activities (report(s), research(es), campaign(s), meetings & events, etc.).
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Providing technical support for recruitment of MHPSS staff team (psychologists) and ensuring technical supervision/support during implementation of activities:
- empowerment and psychoeducational activities;
- individual/group mental health support (individual psychosocial support (PSS) / counselling sessions);
- referral/follow-up and case management of persons in need of (mental health) specialized care/other specific support services.
- Providing support to develop harmonized and context-adapted detailed curriculum for MHPSS psychoeducational group sessions
- Following topics will be covered (not limited and might be adjusted based on assessed needs of beneficiaries): stress management, resolving conflicts, anger management, communication skills, relaxation techniques, sexual reproductive health, etc
- Ensuring an appropriate MHPSS approach in the program aligned with the IASC MHPSS guidelines for emergencies and humanitarian settings
- Leading development process of referral pathways between MdM MHPSS team and other organizations working in the TRCs as well as public institutions – for migrants in need of (mental health) specialized care (e.g. psychiatrist) or of protection services.
- Leading set-up of MdM MHPSS case management services
- Leading (with other team members especially Field coordinator & Programme Manager) knowledge/experience sharing process on migrant’s mental health/needs/answer with local (mental) health workers.
- Helping to develop and implement MHPSS trainings for “front-line” workers working with refugees and migrants in Una Sana canton. Topics: 1) Psychological first aid (PFA); 2) Stress-management/prevention of burn-out/relaxation techniques.
- Adapting existing MdM documents/tools used for MHPSS activities
- Providing technical inputs for development of analysis on mental health state/needs of migrants and refugees
- Developing with other health staff members different written info material (for beneficiaries, health staff, etc.) and trainings’ content.
- Being largely involved into development/conduction of MdM advocacy activities
- Developing and maintaining regular relationships with national/local health authorities & institutions
- Consider available options and develop systems for the provision of staff care for all MdM-BE staff.
- Participating in monthly follow-up chart of projects in BiH & development of draft narrative report(s) of projects
- MHPSS coordinator must respect code of ethics adhering to principles of confidentiality and impartiality; as well as MDM-BE Charter of values.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in mental health/psychology, medicine;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in provision of mental health support and/or health care;
- At least three years of working experience with vulnerable groups and/or migrants;
- Experience in the the field of access to healthcare/human rights/social inclusion and/or humanitarian crisis management would be a distinctive asset.
Key competencies and other skills:
- Excellent writing and oral skills.
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Ability to work autonomously and to work under pressure.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Fulfilling all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Driving licence “B” category would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of French, Arabic, Persian and/or local language would be an asset.
All applicants should send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English via option “PRIJAVI SE NA OGLAS“.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Lokacija: Bihać, Sarajevo
Datum objave: 25.03.2020.
Trajanje oglasa: 30 dana (ističe 24.04.2020. )