“Médecins du Monde / Doctors of the World – Belgique (MdM-BE)” is an international non-governmental organization based in Brussels, Belgium, which is part of the international MdM network. MdM-BE’s main activities are providing medical assistance to vulnerable groups in Belgium and the rest of the world. MdM’s vision is to provide universal (mental) health care globally and to ensure that all persons have access to care without barriers. MdM in Bosnia and Herzegovina provides mental health and psychosocial support activities for migrants and refugees.
For a project in Bosnia and Herzegovina, MdM is looking for: Cultural Mediator (for Arabic/Persian/Urdu/Pashto/Kurdish) (m/f)
About the job
MdM-BE has been providing medico-psychosocial healthcare to asylum seekers in Croatia since August 2016. Based on this experience, the organisation decided to deploy its activities to Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) beginning in May 2019. As implementing partner of United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), MdM-BE supports women and girls on the move through the provision of mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and gender-based violence (GBV) services in Centers for women and girls (CWG). These CWG are based inside of three temporary reception centres (TRCs) that are temporarily accommodating refugees and migrants in Una Sana Canton (USC) and Sarajevo Canton (SC). From October 2019, MdM-BE started to enhance its presence in the country by expanding its programme to include Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services in four temporary reception centres (TRCs) in Una Sana Canton, two temporary reception centres in Sarajevo Canton and mobile PSS support in Tuzla Canton. For that purpose, MdM-BE is looking for Cultural mediators (for Arabic/Persian/Urdu/Pashto/Kurdish) in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Place of work: Sarajevo, Una Sana Canton or Tuzla
Period of engagement: April – May 2020
Basic functions: Cultural Mediator (for Arabic/Persian/Urdu/Pashto/Kurdish) provides interpretation and translation to English or Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian languages, facilitating communication with Persons of Concern; and supports all MHPSS activities conducted by MdM-BE staff in BiH.
Cultural Mediator is under the direct responsibility of the Field coordinator Bosnia and Herzegovina. He/she works in close cooperation with psychologists and social assistants.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Translation from Arabic/Persian/Urdu/Pashto/Kurdish to English/BHS and vice versa of all relevant (MHPSS) activities organized by MdM in BiH including: empowerment activities, awareness raising and psychoeducational sessions; individual psychosocial support (first consultation, psychosocial support (PSS) or counselling session, follow-up, crisis intervention, etc.).
- Translation of documents, public information products and other MdM-BE written materials.
- Provides direct support to all team members in organizing empowerment, awareness raising and psychoeducational activities with a focus on specialized help to vulnerable persons
Other duties and tasks
- reporting on activities carried out on a weekly and monthly basis
Cultural Mediator for Arabic//Persian/Urdu/Pashto/Kurdish must respect code of ethics adhering to principles of confidentiality and impartiality; as well as MDM-BE Charter of values.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Language diploma or native speaker
- Ability to work in challenging environment, assess the situation and carry out immediate actions
- Prior experience in translation/interpretation preferably with non-governmental or international organisations is an asset
- Previous experience with vulnerable groups and/or migrants and/or access to healthcare is an asset.
- Previous experience in translation of MHPSS activities is a distinctive asset.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant job experience
Key competencies and other skills:
- Excellent writing and oral skills.
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Ability to work autonomously and to work under pressure.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Fulfilling all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Driving licence “B” category would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Application processAll applicants should send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English via option “PRIJAVI SE NA OGLAS“.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Lokacija: Sarajevo, Bihać, Tuzla
Broj izvršilaca: 3
Datum objave: 25.03.2020.
Trajanje oglasa: 30 dana (ističe 24.04.2020. )