Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 18 January 2019
Position Title: Counternarratives desk review consultant
Languages Required: B/C/S. Knowledge of English language will be considered as an asset.
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 01-01-2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 25 days
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
IOM has been engaged in the prevention of violent extremism in the Western Balkans since September 2015. Through an ongoing collaboration with the USAID, the UK Government and the Italian Embassy in Sarajevo, IOM is working with young leaders, parents and community actors to strengthen young peoples’ resilience and engagement within their communities.
The project offers parents, teachers and other authority figures, such as local police officers and religious leaders, adapted capacity building workshops that aim to provide them with the tools and skills to recognize and act upon first signs of (potential) radicalization. IOM will now assist local level institutions such as centers for social work and centers for mental health to support the work of the community in overall prevention of the negative behavior among the youth and provision of adequate and tailored assistance.
In line with these objectives, IOM will conduct a review of existing online radicalization and counternarrative approaches to inform the implementation of a project aimed at creating strong alternative and counternarratives in the Western Balkans. These will serve as a bulwark against the spread of disinformation that makes radicalization and violent extremism pervasive. Alternative and counternarratives are included to varying degrees in national strategies and action plans, hence enabling IOM to support the stated aims of governments in the region.
Incumbent will be responsible for:
- Conducting a desk review of existing research on radicalization trends, especially online, and the role and impact of alternative and counternarratives in the prevention and countering of violent extremism.
The Scope of the review will include:
- Literature review of research of radicalization trends, as well as the role and impact of alternative and counternarratives in the prevention and countering of violent extremism conducted by research institutes, NGOs, universities, and international organizations, as well as relevant non-traditional actors, such as tech companies.
- Assessments, evaluations and other evidence on radicalization trends, as well as the role and impact of alternative and counternarratives in the prevention and countering of violent extremism conducted or commissioned by international organizations, including non-disclosed papers as provided by the Project Manager.
The literature review shall include global research findings but focus on evidence from the Western Balkans.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education & Experience
- A Master’s Degree in social sciences, security studies, or a related field is a requirement.
- A PHD in the abovementioned fields would be considered an advantage.
- Previous research experience for a research institute, University, think tank, NGO. (Publication required)
- Proven expertise in research methodology.
- Demonstrated experience in research related to counternarratives or P/CVE would be considered an advantage.
- Research Paper published in Academic Journal would be considered an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (CV, motivation letter and filled out IOM Personal History Form) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only IOM PHP will be considered.
Subject: VN 01-01-19 Counternarratives desk review consultant
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Additional documents, in line with the local laws, will be requested by the successful candidate upon finalization of the selection process.
Applications must be received by 18 January 2019.
Posting period: 10 January – 18 January 2019
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Closing Date: Friday, January 18, 2019