Vacancy Notice N° o25/2018
Senior Project Officer (Grade B5)
Office of the Directorate General of Programmes
Council of Europe Office in Sarajevo
Closing date: 03 September 2018
Location : Sarajevo
Under the authority of the Head of Office and the supervision of the Head of the Criminal Law Co-operation Unit within the Action against Crime Department, the incumbent carries out multiple assignments to meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of the Project ‘Structured sentence management for violent and extremist prisoners in Bosnia and Herzegovina’ in co-operation with the donors, partners and other stakeholders, and in compliance with the organisation’s regulations and/or donor requirements.
Employment is foreseen for a duration of 12 months with the possibility of renewal.
The incumbent shall perform the following tasks in accordance with the Organisation’s procedures, guidelines and priorities, with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- plans, organises and follow up on project activities (seminars, round-tables, conferences, expert meetings, etc.) in accordance with the project work plan, its calendar of activities under the guidance of the local Project Manager and in co-ordination with the Project Manager in headquarters;
- ensures quality and relevance of programmes for activities, secures local and international speakers, prepares documentation and oversees the preparation by local partners; reports any problems encountered; suggests priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- provides technical and substance briefings to short-term consultants prior and during their missions;
- co-ordinates the preparation of activities together with service providers and beneficiaries;
- drafts terms of reference for different contractual engagements that are aimed at implementing each project activity;
- monitors and follows up on purchase orders, contracts and mission orders, travel and accommodation;
- ensures close budgetary follow-up of all project expenditures, in accordance with CoE regulations and procedures and donor requirements;
- provides and drafts reports on the project;
- prepares relevant meetings and drafts meeting minutes and lists of decisions;
- prepares mission reports related to programme activities;
- drafts briefing notes, speeches, speaking points, official correspondence and other contributions;
- contributes to raising the visibility of the project by drafting web news items and press releases and by disseminating information;
- informs regularly the local Project Manager about the implementation of the project and co-ordinates his/her work within the broader framework of the overall action of the Council of Europe Office in Sarajevo;
- contributes to the efficient functioning of the office, in collaboration with the local Project Manager, and the direct Project management in headquarters;
- undertakes official journeys in connection with the activities described above.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
This local recruitment procedure is open to applicants already present in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Only applicants who best meet the following criteria will be considered for shortlisting.
- Completed full course of general secondary education and appropriate professional qualifications;
- A university degree in law, international relations, social sciences, political science or related fields would be an advantage.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience in carrying out corresponding duties of project management and implementation in the framework of technical co-operation or policy-oriented projects.
- Excellent knowledge of one of the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (mother tongue level);
- Excellent knowledge of one of the official languages of the Council of Europe: English.
- Nationality of host country or one of the 47 Council of Europe member states.
- Under 65 years of age at the closing date of the vacancy notice.
Employee Core Values
Council of Europe staff members adhere to the values Professionalism, Integrity and Respect.
- Professional and technical expertise:
– proven experience of carrying out corresponding duties of project management and implementation in the framework of technical co-operation or policy-oriented projects;
– very good knowledge of the political and legal situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
– ICT skills: sound computer skills of standard tools in office applications (word processing, presentation software, outlook, internet/intranet publications);
– knowledge of project management tools (Project Management Methodology, logframes, etc.);
– availability to travel, mostly in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Teamwork and co-operation
- Planning and work organisation
- Analysis and problem solving
- Drafting skills
- Results orientation
- Organisational and contextual awareness
- Concern for quality
- Professional and technical expertise: good knowledge of Council of Europe standards, notably Council of Europe Committee of Ministers recommendations in penitentiary and police fields, the European Committee for Prevention of Torture (CPT) standards and the relevant case law of the European Court of Human Rights.
For more information, please refer to the Competency Framework of the Council of Europe.
Applications must be made in English or French using the Council of Europe on-line application system. By connecting to our website www.coe.int/jobs you can create and submit your on-line application. Applications must be submitted at the latest 03 September 2018 (midnight Paris Time).
Applications will be examined with regard to the requirements of this vacancy and applicants will be informed in due course of the outcome of your application. This may take some time after the closing date. Preselected candidates may be invited to take written tests before an interview. Written tests may be eliminatory.
In accordance with the Staff Regulations of the Council of Europe, the compulsory retirement age is 65. We cannot therefore accept applications from persons over this age.
The conditions of recruitment and employment which apply are contained in Rule No. 1234 of 15 December 2005 laying down the conditions of recruitment and employment of locally recruited temporary staff members working in Council of Europe Duty Stations located outside of France apply (Link to Rule 1234).
The Council of Europe welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
During the different stages of the recruitment procedure, specific measures may be taken to ensure equal opportunities for candidates with disabilities.
Any false statements knowingly made by applicants in their application for employment or at the time of their engagement will result in the termination of their employment by the Council of Europe.
The Council of Europe is the continent’s leading organisation in the protection of human rights, democracy and rule of law. It was founded in 1949 in order to promote greater unity between its members and now includes 47 member states, all having signed up to the European Convention on Human Rights.
By Statute, the Council of Europe has two constituent organs: the Committee of Ministers, composed of the member states’ Ministers for Foreign Affairs, and the Parliamentary Assembly, comprising delegations from the national parliaments. The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of Europe represents the entities of local and regional self-government within the member states. The Commissioner for Human Rights is an independent and impartial institution within the Council of Europe mandated to promote the awareness of and respect for human rights in member states.
The European Court of Human Rights is the judicial body which oversees the implementation of the Convention in the member states. Individuals can bring complaints of human rights violations to the Strasbourg Court once all possibilities of appeal have been exhausted in the member state concerned.
More information: https://www.coe-recruitment.com/jobDetails.aspx?vacancyId=1470