Duty Station: Tirana, Albania
Application Deadline: 28-September-2018
Position Title: Albania Project Coordinator
Project Name: Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia
Classification: 75% time
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and Albanian
Supervisor: Project Coordinator
Starting Date: On or around October 15, 2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months from date of hire with potential for extension
Internews, an international nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC and Arcata, CA, works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. Internews has worked with citizens and local media in more than 100 countries. Together with local partners such as universities and other non-profit organizations, Internews has supported the development of thousands of media outlets worldwide, including radio and television stations, newspapers, mobile news networks, and online news sites.
The Strengthening Independent Media in Europe and Eurasia project is a regional media support project in Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the Caucasus that aims to increase citizens’ access to reliable information about local, regional, and international issues of public importance through support to the independent media sector.
The Albania Project Coordinator (to be hired as a consultant at 75% time) will manage and coordinate all project events that take place in Albania, including production of national and regional multimedia news packages, and promotion and selection of participants for annual storytelling Inspiration Labs. S/he will identify and provide local oversight of any consultants and trainers hired by the project who are located in country. S/he will also work with the Regional Content Production Expert to promote the project’s regional news program among media outlets in country and others across the region as well as to identify and develop Albania-specific content for the program.
- Provide programmatic, administrative, and logistical support to the project director and Balkan project coordinator for all project-supported activities that take place in Albania. Potential duties may include identifying and maintaining contact with local production houses and media outlets, liaising with event invitees, speakers, trainers, and participants; collaborating with project staff in other countries on joint events or content production/promotion; and other responsibilities.
- Coordinate hiring and travel logistics for Albanian trainers, consultants, and event participants in conjunction with the Project Coordinator. Duties may include assisting with local visa applications and travel and accommodations arrangements, collecting and drafting hiring materials, etc.
- Work creatively with the project’s Regional Content Production Expert and local media outlets and production houses to identify and develop Albania-specific material for a national multimedia news packages and a regional multimedia news program. Duties may include research on local trends and issues, correspondence with interested partners, supporting production of multimedia materials for the platform, etc.
- Contributenarrative and monitoring and evaluation content to regular donor reports
- Develop and/or contribute to project communications materials as necessary.
- Collect and review financial report documents from local subrecipients as necessary to ensure compliance with donor regulations.
- Facilitate translation and/or engage translators for project materials and events.
- Monitor the local media environment and provide updates on current events, legal changes, and other information that could impact media and project activities in country to the project director and other project staff.
- Promote project-related opportunities among potential and current beneficiaries and stakeholders through various channels, including social media.
- Demonstrate commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years programmatic and administrative experience, preferably working on USG or international donor-funded projects.
- Deep understanding of the Albanian media sector, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in the Balkans.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and common online and social media platforms,
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and reliably from a remote location, making sure that quality maintains high standards and is provided according to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
- Fluency in Albanian and English required; fluency or proficiency in at least one other local Balkan languages preferred.
Qualified candidates are invited to send their cover letter and CV (in English) to email@example.com, with the name of the job position they’re applying to in the subject line of the e-mail.
Application Deadline: September-28-2018