Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM, together with the international community, assists the population of Bosnia and Hercegovina (BiH) in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas, including, amongst others, the protection of vulnerable migrants; border management; assisted voluntary return; diaspora; technical assistance on migration management; disaster risk reduction and recovery; the prevention of violent extremism, and transitional justice (reparations).
In addition to this, IOM uses the Displaced Tracking Matrix (DTM) tools and methodologies to directly and significantly support the migrant response in the Western Balkans (WB) region (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolution 1244-administered Kosovo), by increasing data and knowledge on risks and vulnerability, profile, locations, needs and intentions of migrants and refugees in the sub-region. IOM DTM supports regular and systematic collection and analysis of data on migrants’ profiles in and outside of formal reception centres, as well as through customised surveys aimed at filling information gaps and providing relevant information for both IOM programming and decision making of WB authorities and relevant stakeholders.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND TASKS
Under the overall supervision of the DTM Regional Coordinator for WB and the direct supervision of the DTM Programme Data analyst, the consultant will support the efforts of DTM in BiH and WB in collection, management, and visual and geographical presentations of relevant data. The tasks of this consultancy includes the following:
- Support data collection, testing and deployment of databases, software and other technology solutions (including mobile applications) and compilation of business requirements, technical specifications, user and technical documentation and standards for DTM related applications;
- Participate in the development, design and maintenance of databases and data collection activities for the DTM;
- Support the development of data collection tools, databases and statistical reports and geographical maps;
- Support the implementation of an effective GIS, including the production of GIS-related products;
- Provide input for geographic data and administrative divisions for various IOM databases for tracking population movements and displacement locations;
- Contribute to the data collection processes, query, analysis and the overall data management activities to ensure the common spatial data standards and that structures are applied and data are managed properly throughout the data management cycle;
- Provide technical inputs into ongoing information management initiatives and partnerships in BiH and the WB;
- Provide user support, guidelines/training materials and training to government authorities programmatic staff and implementing partners interested in developing data collection skills.
- TIMEFRAME OF THE CONSULTANCY
The expected timeframe of the consultancy is until 31. December 2022, renewable.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
The Consultant is expected to have the following competencies and expertise:
- Experience and knowledge of concepts and tools of data collection processes and tools;
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- University degree in Social or Political Science, Statistics, Data Science and/or related areas.
- Competencies and skills
- Strong computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications (especially Excel);
- Working knowledge of R and QGIS is considered an advantage;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written, in both Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian and English. Knowledge of other official languages spoken in the WB is a plus;
- Ability to work independently, as well as a part of a team.
- Personal qualities and other requirements
- Objective and analytical
- Strong sense of commitment
- Capable of working under time pressure
- Proven track record of delivering on time
- Good interpersonal skills
- Culturally sensitive
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
- Ability and willingness to travel, as needed to achieve the proposed outputs.
Fluent English. Good knowledge of one of the official languages used in the Western Balkan region will be considered an advantage.
- CONFIDENTIALITY ARRANGEMENTS
Contracted consultant or individual members of a consultancy organization are not permitted to use any of the gathered data, reported findings, contributions to the draft and final reports to further their personal research.
- LOCATION AND TIME OF THE CONSULTANCY
Services are home based. If travel is required, IOM will cover the costs of transportation and daily allowance.
- HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be sent via email to: email@example.com with the email subject “Ref No: CfA 45-05/22 – Information management (IM) – Geographic Information System (GIS) consultant”.
The application should be in English and include:
- Motivation letter
Application deadline: 19 May 2022.
Posting period: 6 May 2022 – 19 May 2022.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED