Agency: UN Women
Title: Project Coordinator
Practice Area – Job Family: Women’s Empowerment
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 25/02/2018
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: I-Master’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
BIH citizens only
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to implement these standards.
Bosnia and Herzegovina’s (BiH) progress in recent years respecting and promoting Gender Equality is highlighted in a series of international commitments and in national legal and policy frameworks. The main achievements in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment reside in BiH institutional capacity development for the work on gender equality. Indeed, the legal provisions guaranteeing women’s rights and gender equality are largely in place. As mentioned above, the Gender Equality Law, the two Gender Action Plans, the Election Law amendment instituting quotas, the adoption and implementation of two Action Plans for the implementation of UNSCR 1325, and the ratification of the Istanbul Convention are normative achievements that influence the institutional practice in promoting gender equality in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
However, BiH still copes with deep-rooted, patriarchal stereotypes regarding the role and responsibilities of women and men in the family and in society at large. Women in BiH face a particularly precarious reality – they are excluded from the political and decision making processes, they have disproportionately limited access to employment and many of them are subjected to violence. Gaps in the policy development and slow implementation of the adopted legislation constitute important structural obstacles to achieving gender equality. The complex division of roles and responsibilities within the different levels of the government presents a significant challenge to applying uniform, holistic approach to gender mainstreaming across the different sectors. Further, the absence of statistics and analytical research creates gaps and inconsistencies in the policy and legislative work. Improvements are needed in both strengthening institutional capacities and enhancing cooperation between the gender mechanisms and the key ministries and the civil society organizations in order to increase gender mainstreaming in all aspect of government work, primarily policy development and budgeting as the means for achieving gender equality.
As the Government of BiH prepares itself to align with the broader EU Acquis in a wide range of sectors it is prioritizing investment in particular sectors with specific areas of social and economic reform, providing for adoption of a comprehensive sector based approach to development. BiH is currently in the very important stage of the EU candidacy. The country has been asked to fill out comprehensive questionnaire, based on which the next stages of the integration process will be crafted, IPA programming process is becoming more intensive and structured, and harmonization with the EU acquis communautaire.
To support gender mainstreaming in this context, UN Women is seeking to engage a national Coordinator, experienced in gender mainstreaming in the context of EU integration, both within the policies and implementation practices of central and local level.
UN Women Country Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina is seeking to recruit a Project Coordinator who will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist UN Women BiH CO, and overall supervision of UN Women Representative, and will be responsible for the following tasks relating to the project implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina:
Duties and Responsibilities
Technical / substantive
- Monitors the status of implementation of obligations stemming from the Stabilization and association agreement between Bosnia and Herzegovina and the European Union, with a view of ensuring coordination of the EU integration process of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the area of gender equality;
- Drafts operational and technical guidelines and methodologies for the input of gender equality expertise in the relevant working groups and other coordination mechanisms r specific areas;
- Coordinates, guides and provides support to relevant institutions in the work of sub-committees and working groups for EU integration in relation to gender equality;
- Participates at meetings of sub-committees and working groups for EU integration in relation to gender equality and participate in discussions on all open question in the area of gender equality;
- Participates in the organization of trainings, round tables, seminars etc in the area of gender equality in the EU integration process.
- Maintains regular contacts with all relevant stakeholders in the EU integration process including representatives of the EU, competent institutions, international and non-governmental organizations;
- Drafts project concepts with the potential to be supported through the financial instruments of the EU.
Coordinating / managerial
- Manage the planned activities within the BiH Gender Equality Facility;
- Oversee, monitor and technically resource implementation of activities agreed with the partner institutions and activities tasked to national and international experts;
- Organize coordination meetings to ensure harmonization and sustainability of achieved results;
- Undertake close supervision of the any studies, analysis and consultancies that are commissioned by the project and troubleshoot as needed;
- Identify and obtain any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the project;
- Develop and update quarterly work plans and expenditure plans based on the agreed annual work-plan;
- Prepare the Project Quarterly Progress Report (progress against planned activities and expenditures) and submit the report to the supervisors;
- Prepare the Annual Report as per donor requirement, and in coordination with the supervisors;
- Ensure timely and efficient implementation;
- Ensure proper identification of and follow up with all relevant counterparts;
- Ensure project documentations/communication is properly done, tracking system is in place for effective project closure and any anticipated human resources changes on the project;
- Contribute to UN Women and Agency for Gender Equality planning and reporting corporate requirements as requested by the supervisors;
- Any other tasks given by the supervisors.
- Reports to the director of the Agency for Gender Equality and UN Women Representative on every aspect of engagement and prepares a monthly report on planed and implemented activities;
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UN Women’s mandate;
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis;
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across project activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for programme development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as gender, international development, public policy, social studies, or equivalent experience in related fields.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated work experience in gender equality;
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in donor funded projects in the area of gender equality and/or European integration;
- Extensive knowledge of legal and institutional framework for gender equality in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Extensive knowledge of EU framework / acquis related to gender equality and empowerment of women;
- Previous experience working/consulting for international projects/programmes;
- Fluency in English and B/H/S, excellent spoken and written skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Note: UNWOMEN reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNWOMEN at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.