Job ID: 12060
Practice Area – Job Family: Capacity Development
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 25/09/2017
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: National Regular UN Volunteer
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 12 months
Candidates must be BIH nationals or hold a valid working permit issued in BIH. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, working in 177 countries and territories. In BiH, UNDP is committed to helping the country through strengthened national and local capacities to carry out political, economic and social reforms and development. UNDP in BiH has four key focus areas: Justice and Security, Social Inclusion and Democratic Governance, Rural and Regional Development, and Ener-gy and Environment. As an integral pillar of the UNDP Rural and Regional Development Sector, the ILDP focuses on improving governments’ capacities to plan, identify priorities and deliver development results.
Integrated Local Development Project (ILDP) is a joint project of the Government of Switzerland and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) launched in 2008 with the aim to harmonise integrated and inclusive strategic planning at the local level. The Project is implemented in partnership with the BiH Ministry for Human Rights and Refugees. Other key project partners are the FBiH Ministry of Justice, the RS Ministry of Administration and Local Self-Government and both entity Associations of Municipalities and Cities.
Through its previous two phases the ILDP made significant contribution in standard-isation of planning approaches at local and cantonal level and supported 40 local and 10 cantonal governments in designing and implementing their development strategies. Furthermore, the Project helped creation of foundations for establishment of strategic planning systems at the entity level, including financing mechanisms that provide targeted support to implementation of local development priorities country-wide.
The Project’s third, 4-year consolidation phase, was launched in March 2017 and seeks to further place efforts to scale up and consolidate knowledge and systems whose creation has been initiated back in 2008. To that end, the Project will provide assistance to a wide range of domestic partners to affirm a functional development planning and management subnational system, which reinforces effective delivery of public policies and thus contributes to better development results. In the entity of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH), the Project’s support will inter alia be directed towards future effective implementation of the recently adopted FBiH Law on Development Planning and Management. In this respect, the ILDP will support the FBiH Development Planning Institute in undertaking its role of coordinating de-velopment management processes in FBiH, including design of FBiH Development Strategy 2021-2107, coordination of operational planning across the FBiH ministries, support to planning processes with lower government levels, support to overall reporting on development progress and technical support to the FBiH Development Council that is to be established.
Given the scope of new activities to be taken over by the FBiH Development Planning Institute, the Project will support institutional strengthening of the Institute, including through hiring a Strategic Planning Associate to support the work of the Institute’s Strategic Planning Sector. The Strategic Planning Associate will be placed in the FBiH Development Planning Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the ILDP Capacity Development Specialist, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support design of strategic and implementation documents at FBiH level;
- Assist in mainstreaming sustainable development goals (SDGs) into strategic documents in FBiH;
- Support coordination and participation of cantons in planning processes at FBiH level;
- Provide support to cantons in conducting cantonal development planning, monitoring and reporting processes;
- Collect documents, create and regularly update database of strategic documents in BiH and provide support in analyzing strategic documents in FBiH as required;
- Assist in conducting analyses of development trends in FBiH, including macro-economic indicators in FBiH and cantons and support preparation of projections;
- Support monitoring and evaluation of development policies in FBiH;
- Assist in preparation of FBiH development reports;
- Provide technical support to the work of the FBiH Development Council;
- Support effective functioning of planning practitioners’ network;
- Support exchange of knowledge and practices among stakeholders in the FBiH planning system;
- Perform other duties as required.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participa-tion in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publica-tions/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences.
- Team work: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team, both as a team member and as a team leader, to build trust, and to manage in a deliberate, transparent and predictable way.
- Research: Ability to conduct research and utilize analytical skills to evaluate different sources of information.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UN mission, vision and professional values.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Economics, Public Administration or other relevant field from an accredited academic institution. Advanced University Degree is a strong advantage.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience (paid or voluntary) providing support in implementing projects, financial analysis, evaluations at national or international level;
- Experience in working with different stakeholders, such as the government institutions, civil society organizations, etc.;
- Understanding of the overall political, administrative and institutional setup in BiH;
- Basic understanding of strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office software package (MS Word, Excel, Spreadsheet, Internet etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management system;
- Demonstrated experience working in complex environments;
- Familiarity with UN system and UNDP rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and writing;
- Knowledge and experience in volunteering, and willingness to learn about volunteering.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational
More information and application: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=12060&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2