Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 21 November 2017
Position Title: Senior Clerk (Institutional Strengthening, Establishing a Formal Referral Mechanism for Prevention Violent Extremism in Bosnia and Herzegovina) – 2 positions
Languages Required: B/H/S. Fluency in English.
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 14-11/17
Duration of Initial Contract: 3 months with possible extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
In the past period, IOM has been working on increasing resilience of both communities and individuals in selected locations against radicalizing influences with the overall objective to prevent violent extremism in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). Through this work, which commenced in October 2015 and continues today, IOM has developed strong relationships with national and local stakeholders, both within the selected communities where it works and amongst the relevant authorities engaged in preventing and responding to violent extremism in the country. In complement to this work, IOM will now support the BiH authorities, the Council of Ministers Advisory Body for implementation of the BiH Strategy for prevention and countering terrorism (Advisory Body) and the C/PVE National Coordinator for BiH with developing and eventually rolling-out a “formal referral mechanism for preventing violent extremism in BiH”. In essence, this effort aims to ensure that the relevant organizations, institutions and authorities in BiH are ready to play their respective role(s) in preventing and violent extremism in the country. For this purpose, a model of inter-institutional collaboration has to be developed, based upon existing mandates, capacities and resources as well the BiH context.
- Support the Advisory body and the C/PVE National Coordinator for BiH in coordinating the consultative process at all levels in BiH for the purpose of establishment of the referral mechanism for PVE in BiH including support in mapping of all relevant PVE actors in BiH for the purpose of conceptualization of the consultative process;
- Assist the Advisory Body and the C/PVE National Coordinator for BiH in implementing all aspects of the activities, including, but not limited to, the preparation of meetings, presentations, training sessions and briefings;
- Assist Advisory Body and the C/PVE National Coordinator for BiH in liaising with civil society organizations, governments at all levels, local level authorities, security services and judiciary, in order to ensure successful implementation of the activities; including participation at meetings with all relevant actors;
- Liaise with IOM and other international actors in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Support organization of Coordination Meetings between the Advisory Body, academia, international community and other relevant actors within the coordination mechanism for PVE;
- Provide IOM with monthly report on the activities conducted within the consultative process, for the purpose of donor reporting;
- Identify obstacles to the implementation of the activities and propose solutions;
- Carry out duty travel within Bosnia and Herzegovina and abroad as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in law, political science or other social sciences;
- Demonstrable knowledge of the constitutional and political set up in BiH at all levels,
- Experience in the field of preventing/countering violent extremism, security, criminal justice or similar fields;
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of PVE challenges in the Western Balkans and EU countries will be considered as an advantage;
- Proven experience of successfully liaising and maintaining relationships with government as well as civil society stakeholders;
- Experience in reporting, organizing seminars, meetings, training sessions and briefings;
- Fluency in English;
- Holds a valid driving license;
- Willingness and ability to conduct travel across the country.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to interact successfully with a wide range of actors on politically sensitive topics and issues;
- Promotes continuous learning;
- Communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (including their CV and motivation letter) electronically by email to [email protected], or in a sealed envelope to the following address:
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MIGRATION
UN Common House
Zmaja od bosne bb
Note: Vacancy for Senior Clerk, Reference Code VN 14-11/17.
Applications must be received by 21 November 2017.
Posting period: 13.11.2017 – 21.11.2017.
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Closing Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017